Advanced Grid Innovation Lab for Energy (AGILe)
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Advanced Grid Innovation Lab for Energy (AGILe)
The Advanced Grid Innovation Lab for Energy (AGILe) is a research facility aiming at promoting collaborative research between the Authority and external stakeholders for the benefit of the electricity grid of state of New York as well as the electric power and energy industry overall.
The Advanced Grid Innovation Lab Engineer is responsible for supporting the operation and research activities of the Advanced Grid Innovation Lab for Energy (AGILe) in consultation with the Director, AGILe Lab and in collaboration with other personnel working in AGILe. The AGILe Engineer will need highly-skilled technical expertise to work with NYPA's internal constituencies as well as external research and development organizations and other entities to develop, implement, test, and evaluate the efficacy of new technologies, tools, and techniques.
- Implement the objectives of AGILe, and support the Director of AGILe in conducting research work at the Advanced Grid Innovation Lab for Energy.
- Support execution of the day-to-day activities of AGILe in collaboration with contractors, and other external personnel executing the lab's objectives.
- Support execution of projects from a technical perspective performing research work as required by each project.
- Perform modeling and simulation studies (including hardware-/software-in-the-loop) using the AGILe lab digital real-time simulation equipment (RTDS and Opal-RT) as well as all other hardware and software systems available in the lab
- Perform model development and model management tasks for the various system models utilized in AGILe. Be responsible for the maintenance and updates of the models.
- Perform O&M activities for the real-time simulators and other lab equipment and ensure proper operation and availability of lab equipment.
- Perform or support studies using a series of other modeling and simulation tools available at AGILe, such as PSS/E, DSATools, ASPEN, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, Client-MAPS, Matlab, Scalable EXata, etc.
- Support necessary improvements and expansions of AGILe.
- Support phase II transition to an independent lab facility.
- Carry out the AGILe mission in the areas of advanced transmission applications, cyber-security, automation, sensors and power electronics.
- Support preparation of business plans and expenditure requests for executive management and Trustee approval.
- Provide input for the preparation of the yearly operating budget for lab.
- Participate in development and training activities of lab staff to optimize talents and contributions.
- Represent NYPA on select conferences, meetings, task forces, committees, and boards as directed by the AGILe Director.
- Familiarity with electric utility policies, operations, procedures and business objectives.
- Knowledge of the New York state electricity grid environment or the NYPA environment is a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of power plant, substation, transmission, and distribution electrical equipment and systems.
- Excellent knowledge on power system modeling, simulation, and control.
- Working knowledge of digital real-time modeling and simulation, hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) or software-in-the-loop (SIL) simulation and testing.
- Working knowledge of RTDS and/or Opal-RT (ePhasorSim, eMegaSim, HyperSim, eFPGASim) digital real-time modeling and simulation systems and tools.
- Familiarity with as many of the following software packages as possible: PSS/E, DSATools, ASPEN, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, Client-MAPS, Matlab, Scalable EXata.
- Experience in understanding and analyzing complex power system phenomena.
- Working knowledge of data acquisition and remote monitoring systems as well as electric grid communication protocols and systems.
- Good understanding of GPS synchronized phasor measurement units.
- Good understanding of transmission- and distribution-level smart grid technologies.
- Excellent personal computing skills, including proficiency with spreadsheets, word processors, databases, and project management software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good written and verbal communication skills; possess the ability to organize information and effectively present ideas to the intended audience.
- Good communicator who can share a clear vision of the future and build excitement.
- Ability to plan and oversee projects from start to finish and have the associated project management skills.
- Ability to further develop an understanding of the electric utility industry.
- Ability to work independently as well as be part of a high-performing team.
- Demonstrated high level of personal motivation, foresight, and good judgment.
- Willingness to learn new concepts and engage in new innovative projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering with strong preference in the electrical engineering field (preferred focus on electric power systems or control systems).
- M.S. degree in Engineering with specialization in electric power systems or control systems.
- Ph.D. degree (preferably in electrical and computer engineering) is a strong advantage.
- Other advanced degrees considered a plus.
- Minimum of three (3) years of applicable experience, less with a Ph.D. degree, with an electric utility, power producer, research organization, manufacturer, consultant or energy services company.
- Track record as a researcher in an academic environment, or in a research and development group in the industry.
- Position is currently in New York State, White Plains area and requires approximately 15% travel, both in NY State and out-of-state.
- Position may be relocated to the Albany, NY area in a 3-5 year time horizon.
- Position requires working with lab electrical/electronic equipment and setting up experiments following safety rules and lab procedures.
- Position may require to lift and move items weighting up to 20 lbs on an occasional basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.