Assistant Fuel Contracts Analyst
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Assistant Fuel Contracts Analyst
The Fuel Contracts Analyst is responsible for administering, analyzing and providing support in negotiating contracts necessary for, and related to, the procurement and delivery of natural gas and oil in a cost effective and reliable manner in order to help ensure the successful operation and dispatch of client's fossil fueled generating facilities.
The Analyst provides operational, technical, analytical, and commercial support for natural gas, liquid fuel, & energy related contracts; develops & issues requests for proposal (RFPs), analyzes bids & makes award recommendations to Manager as required; recommends fuel procurement strategies utilizing the competitive bidding process.
The position requires strong understanding of cross-commodity relationship between natural gas, fuel oil, and electric power market where client fossil-fired plants are located, a strong knowledge of the contracting and fuel procurement process, as well as all applicable NYS and client policy and procedures. A high level of comprehension and professionalism is necessary due to the magnitude of expenditures.
- Assist Manager in administering all contracts related to the procurement and delivery of natural gas & fuel oil.
- Assist in RFP process including development and issuance of bid request, conduct bid evaluations, recommend award and contract administration to ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions.
- Analyze contract terms and conditions.
- Assist Manager with the contract approval process, which may include preparation of trustee items. Prepare, organize, and maintain contract records in database.
- Develop ability to perform fuel/energy market analysis utilizing industry fundamental and technical analysis to research market dynamics and monitor market, industry and pricing trends.
- Perform Procurement and Pre Solicitation Activities for New Vendor On-boarding. Ability to validate terms and conditions to comply with client policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Assist Manager with negotiation and execution of contractual agreements, including commodity contracts (NAESB) amendments, and other miscellaneous agreements.
- Assist manager in developing and recommending plans for short- and long-term fuel supply and inventory management strategies designed to ensure the dual objectives of cost minimization and security of supply. Monitor market conditions and other variables, which influence pricing, availability and supply reliability.
- Develop ability to coordinate RFP process, [develop bid request, conduct bid evaluations, recommend award] including contract administration to ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions.
- Develop ability to monitor legislative changes, regulatory and tariff issues as well as industry developments, with a special emphasis on pipeline infrastructures and new services and potential supply opportunities.
- Provide essential data, and participate in fuel accounting, budgeting, inventory & fuel management, information management and reporting.
- Prepare, organize and electronically maintain contract records; validate terms and conditions to comply with client policies, procedures and best practices; provide regular reporting on such items as renewals, terminations and extensions as assigned.
- Develop ability to perform cost-benefit analysis, or prepare statistical analysis and reports as required. (Weekly, Monthly, Semi-annual & annual Reports)
- Develop ability to work on special projects. Assist with requests from the auditors and internal stakeholders for information, clarification or other special projects as assigned.
- Develop ability to manage notifications and approvals related to execution of transportation and storage agreements.
- Develop ability to interface with the Law Department (and various stakeholders) and under Manager supervision, secure new agreements/amendments and resolve/review contractual, tax and regulatory/ legislative issues.
- Assist with maintaining strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders such as fuel supply counterparties, interstate natural gas pipeline companies, Local Distribution Companies, Legal, Audit, Procurement & Finance departments.
- Ability to learn the fundamentals of the fuel/energy industries and commodity markets, including the interstate and local transportation infrastructures, rate design, applicable pipeline tariff provisions, and regulatory issues.
- Ability to learn power plant operations and dispatch, including the NYISO market.
- Ability to understand cross-commodity relationship between natural gas, fuel oil and electric power market where client fossil-fired plants are located.
- Ability to learn the fuel procurement and contracting process, competitive bidding process as well as all applicable NY State and client policies and procedures.
- Ability to learn fuel supply, transportation, and related contracts, including an understanding of power contracts associated with client's generating facilities.
- Ability to learn corporate and departmental objectives and strategic goals, including internal policies and procedures as well as applicable federal and state regulatory requirements/ policies.
- Ability to learn internal accounting systems/methods, including the vendor invoicing process.
- Highly motivated with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work and effectively function as part of a cross functional team.
- Possess analytical ability and numbers comprehension.
- Develop ability to analyze complex problems having multiple solutions and recommend appropriate actions.
- Develop understanding of the economic impact of decisions within scope of authority.
- Develop ability to interface effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Learn to negotiate contracts and amendments under Manager supervision.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to follow directions and perform assigned tasks under Manager supervision.
- Develop strong organizational and administrative skills demonstrating thoroughness, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Develop ability to multi-task and work as part of a team.
- Develop ability to use fully integrated data base systems, including Fuels Management System (FMS), Microsoft Word, and Excel software.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or related discipline.
- Applicant must have (6) or more college credits, specifically in Contract Law, Agency Law, Secured Transactions and/or Uniform Commercial Code.
- Work experience in Business Law, Contracts Administration, Financial Analysis, or Fuel Procurement for Energy/Utility Gas/Oil, preferred.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Preferred experience in using Excel to create Pivot Table/Look up/Advance Charting, Macros & Modeling /Programing Skills and Database Management tools for Analysis and Reporting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.