Manager Communication Services
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Communications Manager
The Communications Services Team is responsible for building, managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting client's corporate and operations communications transport infrastructure. The Communication Services Manager will manage the processes and people who analyze, design, configure, implement, test, maintain, and support client's communications backbone and 3rd party circuits. Decisions are guided by policies, procedures, business plan, functional strategies, and priorities with oversight from the Director. This role helps ensure the real time data communication runs more efficiently, enables the business to improve on processes, and provides more information for better management decision-making. The manager will also contribute to the overall design and technical vision for the communications infrastructure impacting all of the client
This position will also be responsible for the following:
- Provide a robust and efficient communications backbone environment for the client that instills confidence and reliability amongst the user community.
- Oversee the development, implementation and enforcement of corporate and information technology policies, standards, and guidelines that are aligned with the company's strategic business objectives as they pertain to the Communications Backbone.
- Coordinate communication backbone efforts across Business Units.
- Manage a highly skilled staff of technical employees including performance management, salary administration, succession planning, and workload balancing.
- Oversee the design and implementation of the client Communications Backbone.
- Responsible for all Communications Backbone administration and maintenance.
- Coordinate efforts across Business Units, including Application Development and Support, HR, Legal, Cyber Security, and other groups to identify network inefficiencies that, once remedied, will help optimize the corporate and operation networks.
- Oversee operation of the Time Warner MPLS, client Communications backbones and other 3rd party circuits:
- Work with IT/OT staff to design solutions, and migration plans as it pertains to the client Communications Backbone.
- Coordinate scheduling, testing, and migration of corporate/operations data, analog voice traffic, and other corporate/operations circuits onto the new corporate and operations network.
- Oversee all documentation regarding the communication backbone and 3rd party circuits.
- Work with Service Providers to develop a process for tracking and reporting circuit downtime:
- Develop process to communicate planned and unplanned outages to respective equipment and circuit owners / users.
- Develop process to escalate trouble tickets with service vendors.
- Develop process to back-charge service vendors for service interrupting outages of critical circuits.
- Participate in the review and selection of hardware and software that affect the communication backbone.
- Keep abreast of technological changes in the communication arena, and stay technically focused while being challenged with staffing and personnel related issues.
- Manage employees including performance management, salary administration, succession planning and workload balancing. Identify and recommend solutions to modify staff to meet NYPA needs (staffing levels and requirements for regular, temporary and contractor services).
- Supervise and direct a team with clear directions in resolving issues.
- Communicate and coordinate regularly with appropriate staff to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency in productivity.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to staff members with constructive feedback on overall support efforts, project goals, and individual accomplishments.
- Proven ability as a member of a management team to communicate technical and security-related concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff. Ability to interface with IT management and staff in planning, designing and implementing hardware architecture, system software, and controls to protect corporate assets.
- Knowledge of the following technologies:
- Network protocols and equipment.
- Network architecture - both wired and wireless.
- Disaster Recovery Co-Lo and Managed Services.
- Voice over IP communications.
- Network, communication, and cyber security requirements.
- Operational applications including SCADA, protective relaying, telemetry, PMU, ringdowns and security video.
- Fiber technology including cabling, connectors, and multiplexing.
- Wireless communication including microwave, satellite, WiFi, and cellular.
- WANs, LANs, Internet, Intranets and protocols.
- Proven record of engineering and implementation of large-scale communications backbone infrastructure, a strong sense of commitment, highly business oriented, and skilled at delivering robust solutions.
- Comfortable operating at all levels of the organization, with ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical audiences, and effectively balance priorities to optimize resources and exceed engineering targets.
- Knowledge of network standards and best practices found throughout both the public and private sectors.
- Excellent adaptability and problem solving; ability to comprehend various sources of reporting to gain not only an understanding of the emergent issue and solution but to understand impact and provide appropriate communication to impacted parties.
- Ability to lead team members by providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring, and constructive feedback.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong managerial, communication and interpersonal relationship skills with the ability to work with various functional groups.
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple projects within varying deadlines.
- Good negotiation skills to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Knowledge of LAN, WAN, SAN, VMware, telecommunications, security and data center systems, equipment and technologies.
- Knowledge of Electrical Utilities operation.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, engineering or related technical or business discipline.
- Minimum 10 years quality technical experience (or a minimum of 15 years of directly related experience for non-degree holders). An advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum five years of Project Management experience within various IT/Communication disciplines; including: schedules, budgets and deadlines.
- Prior management/supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with telecommunication equipment and systems inclusive of multiplexers, channel banks, Voice over IP, TCP/IP, fiber optics and wireless including mobile radio, microwave and satellite.
- Experience in testing and maintenance of operational applications utilizing analog telecommunications including video, telemetry, protective relaying, SCADA, and voice including:
- Distributed and networked environments.
- Networks, operating systems and supporting software, network hardware such as routers, switches, firewalls, IPS and network protocols such as BGP, EIGRP and OSPF.
- Copper and fiber cabling technologies and testing.
Available during off hours to handle emergencies or critical projects.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.