Operations Network Architect-Communication Srvcs
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Operations Network Architect-Communications
The Communications Services Team is responsible for building, managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting client's corporate and operations communications transport infrastructure. The Network Architect will oversee and contribute to the overall design and technical vision for the communications infrastructure impacting all of the client
In this position, the architect will oversee and participate with the planning, design installation, maintenance, management, and coordination of all 3rd party communication circuits and client's fiber/microwave communications backbone.
This position will also be responsible for the following:
- Provide a robust and efficient communications backbone environment for the client that instills confidence and reliability amongst the user community.
- Develop, implement, and enforce corporate and information technology policies, standards and guidelines that are aligned with the company's strategic business objectives as they pertain to the Corporate and Operations Communications Networks.
- Coordinate efforts across Business Units, including applicable network and telecommunications equipment, application development and application support hardware and system software components, and Facilities.
- Oversee the design and implementation of the client Communications Backbone.
- Provide technical expertise at the highest level.
- Coordinate efforts across Business Units, including Application Development and Support, HR, Legal, Cyber Security and other groups to identify network inefficiencies that, once remedied, will help optimize the corporate network.
- Oversee operation of all 3rd party circuits and client Communications backbone:
- Work with IT/OT staff to design solutions and migration plans as pertains to the client fiber and microwave Communications Backbone.
- Coordinate scheduling, testing, and migration of corporate data, analog voice traffic and other corporate/operations circuits onto the new fiber communications backbone.
- Provide design concepts for corporate/operations site staff to verify traffic flow, provide technician training for new hardware, and maintain consistency amongst the sites.
- Responsible for maintenance, monitoring, and operation of the communications backbone infrastructure at all client sites.
- Responsible for all documentation regarding client wide communications infrastructure.
- Work with Service Providers to develop process for tracking and reporting circuit downtime:
- Develop process to communicate planned and unplanned outages to respective equipment and circuit owners users.
- Develop process to escalate trouble tickets with service vendors.
- Develop process to back-charge service vendors for service interrupting outages of critical circuits.
- Participate in the review and selection of hardware and software that affect corporate/operations communication backbone infrastructure.
- Keep abreast of technological changes in utility communication backbone arena.
- Work closely with the Asset Management group to maintain the OpsNet assets in Maximo.
- Travel to client sites to support Operations Network implementation and troubleshooting as required.
- Manage and maintain Operations Network testing lab to configure, evaluate, test, and troubleshoot equipment, firmware/software upgrades, security, encryption, and network design changes prior to deployment. Develop maintenance best practices and provide technical support to site technicians.
- This is the highest level individual contributor role; expert knowledge of the following technologies is required:
- Network protocols and equipment.
- Network architecture - both wired and wireless.
- Disaster Recovery Co-Lo and Managed Services.
- Voice over IP communications.
- Network, communication, and cyber security requirements.
- Operational applications including SCADA, protective relaying, telemetry, PMU, analog telecommunications and security video.
- Fiber technology including cabling, connectors, and multiplexing.
- Wireless communication including microwave, satellite, WiFi, and cellular.
- Proven record of engineering and implementation of large-scale communications backbone infrastructure, a strong sense of commitment, highly business oriented and skilled at delivering robust solutions.
- Comfortable operating at all levels of the organization, with ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical audiences, and effectively balance priorities to optimize resources and exceed engineering targets.
- Expert knowledge of network standards and best practices found throughout both the public and private sectors.
- Excellent adaptability and problem solving; ability to comprehend various sources of reporting to gain not only an understanding of the emergent issue and solution but to understand impact and provide appropriate communication to impacted parties.
- Expert knowledge of Electrical Utilities operation.
- Knowledge of LAN, WAN, SAN, VMware, telecommunications, security and data center systems, equipment and technologies.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, engineering or related technical or business discipline.
- Minimum 10 years communications experience with demonstrated technical skills in maintenance, testing, and troubleshooting of network equipment and protocols and telecommunication technology.
- Extensive hands-on experience with telecommunication equipment and systems inclusive of multiplexers, channel banks, Voice over IP, TCP/IP, mobile radio, microwave, satellite systems, Optical Transport Networking, network monitoring, protective relaying engineering and cloud infrastructure connectivity.
- Industry training and certifications directly correlating with client's corporate and operations infrastructure.
- Available during off hours to handle emergencies or critical projects.
- 50% of travel is required for implementing solutions and troubleshooting issues at client locations within New York State.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.