Senior Electrical Engineer I
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Electrical Engineer I
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for providing electrical engineering support to all New York Power Authority generating plant and transmission substations throughout the State of New York.
- Serve as senior equipment engineer.
- Develop equipment specifications and design packages and provide technical oversight for all substation, transmission and generation systems, in accordance with applicable industry standards.
- Evaluate technical proposals and electrical equipment functional designs, perform failure evaluations, and provide both planned and emergent on-site support to facilities throughout New York State.
- Factory visits to support design reviews and testing, as well as the ability to coordinate with vendors during the manufacturing process.
- Oversight of outside consultants.
- Represent the Authority at industry conferences and within various technical societies.
- Develop designs, specifications and engineered solutions for various electrical equipment and systems' problems or improvements.
- Perform inspections and evaluations of existing conditions for various electrical equipment and systems for proper installation, problem identification and trouble shooting, or improvements
- Provide direction to and review of the electrical design and drafting personnel in the development of the project drawings.
- Review work produced by other engineers, including the designs and specifications.
- Mentor and provide guidance for junior engineers.
- Independently schedule and prioritize requests to ensure deadlines are met.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines and departments for the successful development and execution of the project.
- Perform inspections and evaluations on vendor products to ensure engineering requirements and Authority needs are satisfied.
- Demonstrated expertise in the analysis, design and integration of power system components with projects related to power generating plant and substation facilities.
- Strong understanding of power system theory.
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards and expertise regarding equipment such as power transformers, power switchgear, current and potential transformers, grounding equipment and systems, underground and overhead cable systems and electric generation components.
- Proven success in the management of technical and administrative aspects of faced-paced and emergent projects.
- Serve in a mentoring capacity to junior engineers.
- Working knowledge of industry codes and standards such as ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NFPA, and NEC is required.
- Expertise regarding equipment such as power transformers, power circuit breakers, current transformers, potential transformers, surge arrestors, switching and grounding equipment, as well as underground and overhead cable systems.
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial facilities and their various electrical systems and components are required.
- Ability to apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices, coupled with the understanding of the Client's policies, operations, and objectives, to solve all but the most complex engineering problems, and
- make technical recommendations on design methods and obstacles on a project as well as programmatic level.
- Knowledge of and a working familiarity with current codes, standards, and regulations.
- Basic understanding of Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of computer-based engineering analysis programs.
- Demonstrated performance on multi-discipline team projects.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, complete and articulate reports which explain recommendations.
- Ability to develop complete, accurate and detailed modification packages, specifications, drawings and other engineered construction documents.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent, from an accredited college or university
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of applicable work related experience.
- NYS PE License.
- Experience with client policies and business practices preferred.
- Experience in a lead engineer function for electric power system projects as applied to the electric utility industry.
- Approximately 25% travel, primarily within NY State
- Willingness to enter confined spaces and climb/scale power system apparatuses is required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.