Senior Project Engineer I
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a direct-hire/full-time opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Senior Project Engineer I
The Project Engineer directs, monitors and controls the engineering, design and procurement phases of new generation projects, new transmission projects and conventional facility modifications. The Project Engineer is technically responsible for all engineering, design and procurement related to the projects. They are involved in and contribute at all levels on a daily basis during construction to ensure the cost and project scope are under control. The Project Engineer is responsible for, and monitors, the work performed by consultants and on occasion, Investor Owned Utilities. Additionally, this role provides construction staff with advice, documentation, and approved field changes.
- Provide construction staff with advice, documentation, and approved field changes.
- Responsible for CPR development through implementation.Design Engineering and Staff Support -
- Direct and oversee all in-house as well as AE activities relating to engineering, design, and procurement activities of the project.
- Review designs for constructability and from a future operations and maintenance standpoint.
- Review the work of the AE and ensures that work is carried out in accordance with technical requirements and schedules.
- Ensure AE's designs and specifications are reviewed so that they meet the Authority's technical requirements.
- Ensure all AE deliverables adhere to the acceptance standards established by the Authority.
- Manage design changes by the AE once bid drawings are issued, and that they are in conformance with the Authority's change control procedures.
- Conduct periodic visits to the AE, as necessary.
- Administer the AE contract.
- Ensure that the design meets the licensing and environmental requirements.
- Provide engineering, design and procurement input to the project planning.
- Where specialized technical assistance is required, the PE can request CLIENT Operations-Engineering to review the designs, specifications and analyses to ensure the Authority's technical needs are met.
- Where the engineering and design are to be done in-house, Engineering provides the technical deliverables and drawings as normally performed by the AE. The matrix team of engineers provides the engineering, design drawings, and specifications to the PE.
- Accounting -- Review and concur in AE and vendor invoices to ensure that all charged items are chargeable under the terms of the agreement.
- Ensure expenses are both appropriate and at the correct level of detail.
- Licensing -- Provide engineering and construction input to Licensing in the preparation of licensing documents
- Develop and review equipment and material specifications and bid documents.
- Evaluate bid proposals and prepare recommendations for the award.
- Review invoices, approval of technical submittals, monitor delivery schedules and manage all technical changes.
- Resolve all QA/QC open items.
- Submit, review and approve all vendor drawings and data.
- Assures that the equipment and material meet the specification requirements
- Develop construction bid documents, including construction sequence and coordination of construction outages.
- Provide field staff with technical input on design changes required during construction.
- Implement and comply with Configuration Management Policy
- Provide technical assistance to the construction staff on clarification of design.
- Investigate and determine the operational impact on unit operation for any equipment outage.
- Implement Project Management's Construction Inspection/Monitoring program.
- Ability to develop complex engineering specs and perform intricate studies. These studies may involve the integration of CLIENT's system with the utility systems of New York State, other states, and Canada.
- Substantial knowledge of related disciplines, and understanding of the effects on the Authority and its customers.
- Aware of changes and advancements in the industry, and develop industry-wide expertise.
- Understand how CLIENT interacts with outside organizations, including other utilities and regulatory agencies, and with its customers.
- Familiar with CLIENT's budgets, costs, rate structures, and policies.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Strong problem solving skills focused on the results of data rather than on the data analysis procedures. In some cases, these "problems" may be associated with the Authority's generation and transmission of electricity safely, at the lowest cost, or in developing expanded capabilities and services for customers.
- Ability to investigate what is not intuitive and to develop solutions to non-routine problems.
- Demonstrated ability to handle a project from start to finish, with only major decisions being brought to the PM.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering from a school accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Master of Science Degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering from a school accredited by the ABET preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of engineering experience.
- Minimum of 7 years in project management.
- New York State PE License.
- Project Management Professional certification preferred.
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State
- Willingness to enter confined spaces and climb/scale power system apparatuses is required.
- Ability to travel to vendor facilities (worldwide) to support construction activities and to inspect equipment fabrication and commissioning for length of time needed.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.