Smart Grid Solution Architect
|Location:||White Plain, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Smart Grid Solution Architect
The client's strategic Smart Generation and Transmission (G&T) and Asset Management function facilitate the increasing pace of industry transformation and digitization and manage an investment in smart grid digital technology and advanced asset management concepts across their Generation and Transmission infrastructure. This ambitious strategic initiative is part of client's Strategic Vision and is aimed at providing both client and New York State with the most advanced grid in the industry and to ensure that the most modern industry solutions are leveraged to deliver capability in key areas. Ultimately, Smart Generation and Transmission investments will pave the way for increased benefits to customers by providing the State with a market leading platform for future digital technologies and services, better management of bulk and distributed renewable generation and storage sources, near-real-time access to information, improved outage management and overall reduced electrical losses and increased system efficiency and reliability.
The Solution Architect provides technical assurance and oversees the implementation of the Smart G&T Strategic initiative; from initial concept to final delivery. This role supports the Vice President of Strategic Operations with required planning, builds detailed technical architecture requirements, and establishes the technical governance. The Solution Architect is responsible for all high level architectural design and for managing project deliveries. The Solutions Architect is responsible for, and monitors, the work performed internally as well as by vendors. Additionally, this role provides leadership with advice on Smart G&T digital technologies and IT/OT systems integration.
The Solution Architect ensures that implementations are architecturally and technically consistent with client's technical strategies, business strategies, policies, standards and procedures. The Solution Architect also plays a crucial role in identifying new technologies that could affect client's overall strategy from a technology roadmap perspective.
- Develop and manage the Smart G&T portfolio of projects and the Smart G&T initiative business plan.
- Support the Vice President of Strategic Operations with the implementation of projects designed to build client's smart grid system.
- Manage vendors working on Smart G&T projects for conceptualizing, planning, designing and implementing the Smart G&T initiative.
- Coordinate and act as client project owner for Smart G&T studies that define new Smart G&T projects, develop their business cases, and perform preliminary engineering analysis.
- Translate business requirements using methods/models to determine appropriate architectural solutions and make sound integration architecture decisions based on expertise of open/industry standards, current and evolving technologies, products, standards, patterns, approaches, etc.
- Ensure individual systems can be integrated effectively, including the sharing of common services, functions, 'middleware', communications, security and data.
- Develop supporting technology roadmaps to meet client business objectives and the Smart G&T and Asset Management business roadmaps.
- Implement technical risk management practices and ensure that all risks are managed through solution projects or other means.
- Implement technical assurance controls for solution implementations so that they follow a managed and structured approach from concept through to delivery and transition to the project execution group(s).
- Support the project execution group(s) through project completion ensuring compliance with the proposed solution and project business case. Track project costs and benefits at a high-level for supporting updates and refreshes of the Smart G&T business plan.
- Supervise a group of two people, the Smart Grid System Analyst and the Smart Grid System Engineer.
- Work closely with the client Asset Strategy Manager in ways that Smart G&T could support client's Asset Management goals.
- Demonstrated expertise in the analysis, design and integration of power system components with projects across generation and transmission infrastructure. Knowledge of applicable industry standards and experience with emergent smart grid equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices, industry standards, procedures, and trends, coupled with good understanding of client's policies, operations, and objectives.
- Familiarity with the engineering design process along with experience and knowledge of construction activities and processes. Familiarity with code and quality assurance requirements for new products, materials, and equipment and systems used in the electric utility industries.
- Previous experience in an electric power utility with a focus on new and emerging technologies and strategy implementation.
- Demonstrated high-level IT systems knowledge and a history of engagement in IT project implementations.
- History of leadership on technical project teams and demonstrated history handling the most complex project issues and technical challenges.
- Experience architecting solutions that leverage, augment or replace existing monolithic architecture to meet business objectives.
- Proven success in the management of technical and administrative aspects of faced-paced and emergent projects.
- Excellent knowledge of power generation and transmission, IT, OT, and operational systems.
- Knowledge of securing IT and OT systems.
- Knowledge of and a working familiarity with current standards, and regulations governing NYS electricity industry, including IT/OT and security standards (e.g., NERC CIP).
- Knowledge of NIST, Intelligrid and other industry standard use cases.
- Excellent knowledge of NYISO or equivalent systems, interfaces and business rules.
- Expertise in developing requirements, testing, acceptance and transition.
- Expertise in producing use cases and equivalent test cases.
- Expertise in understanding and implementing cost/benefit analysis and developing project business cases.
- Ability to effectively communicate deep technology issues with non-technical senior management.
- Ability to effectively communicate/collaborate with technology experts and subject matter experts.
- Excellent analytic and problem solving skills. Ability to drive innovation, drive strategy, and manage project execution.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, and collaboration skills. Ability to form and lead high-performance, interdisciplinary teams. Ability to handle obstacles and challenging situations in an effective way.
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State
- Ability to travel to project sites to conduct on site evaluations and vendor coordination
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.