Sr. Director Category Management
|Location:||White Plains, New York|
|Position Type:||Direct Placement|
Tailwind Associates, an EOE, has a full-time/direct-hire opportunity with our client in White Plains, NY for a Senior Director Category Management
The Senior Director of Category Management & Strategic Sourcing is a critical role within the Procurement department. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Procurement, the individual in this position will establish and lead the Category Management & Strategic Sourcing function, set direction for category management activities, and oversee strategic sourcing execution, contracting and value analysis. This leader will have responsibility for managing a team of Directors, Category Managers and Buyers to deliver value across all direct and indirect spend categories. The Senior Director of Category Management & Strategic Sourcing will also develop and maintain relationships with senior leaders in other client functions who are customers of Procurement, as well as with strategic and critical suppliers.
Initial responsibilities include planning and development of Category Management & Strategic Sourcing organization; after which, the responsibilities will breakdown as follows:
80% - Leading Category Management & Strategic Sourcing function
Category Management & Sourcing
- Lead the function to create value, drive continuous improvement, and provide realized savings to client by applying category management and strategic sourcing leading practices.
- On an annual and ongoing basis, create, execute, and communicate the category management strategy to the Authority and to align to internal business partners' requirements.
- Oversee the continuous development and refinement of Category Playbooks for identifying and pursuing strategic supplier relationships and savings opportunities.
- Provide guidance and support to the organization and introduce new procurement processes and technologies (including championing Ariba eSourcing tools) to drive a culture of decision-making based on analysis.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of specific category strategies and initiatives in coordination with category Directors.
- Develop, deepen and maintain trusted and collaborative relationships with business partners and stakeholders to ensure Procurement is seen as a valued partner and appropriately involved in business decisions. Also work with business partners and the leaders of Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and Contract Management to set and monitor improvement programs for the suppliers in terms of quality, cost and delivery.
- Lead annual or more frequent analysis of client's overall spending to identify new opportunities, coordinating with the leader of the Procurement Governance and Analytics Center of Excellence.
- Apply and lead others to apply analytical and strategic thinking skills to develop category sourcing strategies that are aligned to the Authority's business objectives and responsive to the internal and external environment.
- Collaborate with Legal and negotiate with suppliers regarding contractual / legal matters of significance to the Authority to ensure optimum cost and reliable supply.
- Lead the function to maintain strategic vendor relationships and improve vendor performance.
- Drive opportunities to increase utilization of local and diverse vendors through identification, communications, strategic sourcing and progress reporting.
- Collaborate with Transactional Procurement on buying channel strategy and support procure-to-pay optimization.
- Collaborate with HR on the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of staff to ensure the availability of the required procurement management and professional talent.
- Create an effective work environment by developing and demonstrating a strive toward a common vision, developing and communicating of clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Maintain knowledge of other initiatives / projects in the company that may interact with / affect Procurement's performance and operations and collaborate with necessary stakeholders.
- Capable of building organization from the ground up including long term vision and goals.
- Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and execute strategic business initiatives and provide strategic planning.
- Deep procurement experience with the proven ability to establish category management and strategic sourcing capabilities including business processes and drive savings
- Advanced analytical skills, with ability to lead others to understand market dynamics and customer/client needs.
- Strong knowledge of the Power Utility services and equipment categories and/or supply market – Preferred
- Experience in training, coaching and developing key resources.
- Highly collaborative individual, who has proven ability to work cross functionally and build trusted and collaborative relationships
- Breadth and depth of knowledge of supply chain management concepts in procurement, receiving, supplier relationship management, and equipment management, and ability to demonstrate mastery in several of these areas.
- Breadth and depth of knowledge of social economics, accounting principles, the concept of total cost of ownership (TCO), cost management and process improvement, and ability to demonstrate mastery in several of these areas.
- Proven experience developing and implementing policies and procedures – Preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, Information Management, Operations Management, Market Sciences or similar.
- Advanced degree – Preferred
- CPM/CPSM, CSCP or equivalent certification – Preferred
- 8+ years of leadership/management experience in a procurement organization, clearly exposed to and oversaw strategic program/project management of large and/or complex work efforts.
- 8 + years professional experience in Procurement, Finance, Accounting, and Supply Chain Management.
- 3+ years experience in the Power and Utilities industry or public sector – Preferred
- Experience building and developing an organization – Preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex or age.